Straight from Sarah Jessica Parker herself.
It’s been 16 long years since Sex and the City wrapped, but we still have so many important questions, like, why the hell did Carrie cheat on Aidan? Were all those cocktails they drank real? And most importantly, will this third film ever happen? Thankfully, Cosmopolitan UK caught up with Sarah Jessica Parker, whose film All Roads Lead To Rome is out on DVD now. She cleared a few things up for us…
1. The cocktails were fake. And there you were, thinking the cast kicked back during filming and enjoyed Cosmopolitan after Cosmopolitan. But no. “The Cosmopolitans were made of water and food colouring or watered-down cranberry juice,” Sarah Jessica Parker said. “Ginger ale was a substitute for Champagne and red wine was always just grape juice.”
2. They did eat all that brunch food. A lot of the time you were more fixated on all the amazing brunch food Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda nibbled on than the guys they were talking about. But surely they didn’t actually eat it all? So wrong. “I always ate the food,” SJP said. “I don’t like food to sit in front of an actor and for it to not be eaten. It’s silly. Cynthia Nixon (Miranda) and I always ate everything, and it didn’t matter if it was cold because it was our job. We didn’t need fancy food, we ate whatever could be made quickly — you don’t want to be ordering caviar!”
3. Big and Carrie weren’t meant to end up together. If you were unhappy about how the series ended (Big telling Carrie she was “The One”), then you’ll be interested to know that they weren’t actually meant to be. The show’s creator Darren Star recently revealed, “I think the show betrayed what it was about, which was that women don’t ultimately find happiness from marriage. Not that they can’t. But the show initially was going off script from the romantic comedies that had come before it. That’s what had made women so attached.” He added, “At the end, it became a conventional romantic comedy. But unless you’re there to write every episode, you’re not going to get the ending you want.”
4. SJP had a no-nudity clause in her contract. You may have noticed that Carrie was the only one out of the four leads who always wore a bra in bed? That’s because she had a no-nudity clause in her contract. She has said, “I was not comfortable with nude scenes, scenes with sex toys, or vulgar language – so I didn’t do any. My character Carrie kissed a lot of men – but that’s as far as it went.”
5. Cynthia Nixon is actually blonde. Cynthia dyed her hair red to play Miranda because that’s what colour the character was in Candace Bushnell’s books. She has since spoken of her relief to be able to go back to her natural blonde. Meanwhile, Carrie was meant to be brunette but 24 hours before the pilot was shot, producers changed their minds.
6. SJP kept all the clothes (well, most of them). When the show finished, Sarah Jessica kept about 70 per cent of her Sex and the City wardrobe. She has said, “I’ve kept everything that didn’t come directly from a designer or wasn’t rented. Yes, I have it in the archive. I have literally everything!” I’m assuming the tiny sequin pants from Carrie’s disastrous catwalk appearance are in there.
7. SJP wore heels 18 hours a day. Carrie loved shoes. Once she said, “I’ve spent $40,000 on shoes, and I have no place to live? I will literally be the old woman who lived in her shoes!” As a result, Sarah Jessica had to wear Carrie’s signature super high heels for up to 18 hours a day during filming. Ouch.
8. Carrie’s tutu cost $5. The famous ballet tutu that Carrie wore in the opening credits cost only $5 in a bargain bin.
9. Remember Pete? He was scared of Aidan. The first dog to play Aidan’s dog Pete was actually scared of actor John Corbett (how? why?!) and so they had to fire him and get a replacement.
10. Alec Baldwin was meant to play Matthew McConaughey’s role. The episode “Escape From New York” in Sex And The City could have been so different. Matthew McConaughey’s part was originally written with Alec Baldwin in mind. He turned it down. Producers then offered it to George Clooney who couldn’t do it, and then Warren Beatty who also declined. Thankfully Matthew said yes!
From: Cosmo US
Your email address will not be published.
You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>